Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Experience with Colors

When I told that I wanted to start a blog, Divya told me to write some tips on painting. So let this post be dedicated to her. I'm just an amateur, so I'm no one to give tips. If you want you can just google and get 100s of tips.. :) Here I am going to share with you my experience with colors.

When did I start painting? What did I draw first? Did I use a pen or a pencil or was it something else? Was it on a plain paper or a newspaper or father's some important papers? I wish I could get those back. Isn't it more valuable than the best painting I have ever made. Why just mine? If I was asked to choose between Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa and this first painting of mine, I would definitely choose mine. Why just my first painting? I would never exchange any of my paintings.

A painting gets its life from the painter's soul. When I first touch the canvas itself a bond is created. It grows stronger as the painting progresses. Each time the brush is dipped in my soul. By the time the painting is complete I get very much attached to my painting, it becomes a part of me. I just don't know how to explain that feeling. That might be the reason why I never give my paintings to anyone. No one can appreciate a painting more than its creator. One thing I really don't understand is how can an artist sell his painting?

I believe that I have got this skill from my father. He never encouraged me much, might be because he felt that it might affect my studies. Like any other child I too started my painting lessons with crayons at school. Even now when I see kids using crayons, I wish I'm just one among them. After a few years, I don't remember exactly, might be in 3rd class, we moved on to watercolor. I used to have a green box with colorful tablets and a brush. My world of colors really started with this. Even though it was difficult to mix colors it was something great compared to the crayons. In 5th class we started using the watercolor tubes. I used to have a butterfly shaped pallet in which lots of new colors took birth. In my 9th class we had a painting competition where I first tried a new medium - acrylic on cloth. I loved it very much and started painting on T-shirts and handkerchiefs. By that time I had stopped using water colors. It was after my 12th that I entered the world of oil paints - the medium that most of the artists across the globe have been using over the years. Its the best medium one can ever work with. The majority of paintings one sees in most galleries and museums are done with oil paint. You can find the depth and richness of colors in them. Oil paints can often be left exposed to air for up to several weeks without drying which allows you to take your own time. You can even scrap off and make changes. When it comes to durability these paintings lasts for 100s of years.

Now in this corporate world where the speed of life is faster than your heart beat, you just don't get time for anything. I haven't touched my brush for the past 3 years. But how could I kill the artist in me? Last week I bought some oil paints. Its been along time I wished to try out knife painting. I haven't started yet.

My dear friends, if you have a taste in painting and if you have never tried oil paint, I request you to try it once. I assure you that you would really love it. I am taking back the comment that i made earlier. In my next post I would be giving some tips on oil painting. ;)

13 comments:

Phoenix said...

Really good.. The pictures in between your blog makes it more beautiful..

Waiting for your oil painting tips.

Sreelal said...

Thank you very much for your comments. I will give the tips only after you buy oil paints. Else what is the point in giving tips... :)

Najeeba said...

I have loved painting and drawing very much, but I don't do it. I have a question - can I learn painting? I am not so good in drawing, but not that bad too. I used to collect pictures drawn by my friends at school and college. I want to draw and paint, but I don't know how. So, I'm waiting for your tips...
And the fotos you put in your blog was really good.

Destiny's Child said...

It was nice post...
Cheers!!!!!!!

I got one doubt.
"Even now when I see kids using crayons, I wish I'm just one among them."
From the above words its easy to decipher your pointing your finger towards Sanal,Am i right lalu....

Sreelal said...

You are absolutely right Rakesh...
Actually I had thought of including that in the post itself. :)

Hi Najeeba.., If you have got interest and dedication you can definitely learn. My friend Sanal has proved it. :)
Last week while I was buying the painting materials he was there with me. He told me that he too want to learn painting. I took a pack of crayons and a sketching book for him. I haven't yet started my painting but he has done around 15 paintings by now, each one much better than the previous ones. In the beginning my room mates used to make fun but he never bothered. Now he is complaining that he is not having this color, that color, can't blend colors, etc. I just told that its now time for him to move on to water colors. Now I do see a great artist in him.
So if you have got interest, just start doing. No need to wait for any tips. :)

Phoenix said...

wow..Sanal seems to have become a great painter, huh? So good teacher you are, Sree. Way to go!!

MumLee said...

To be frank, interesting post. I believe that there was a small artist in me long back, was not very good with water paints, but was still ok. But was better in pencil drawing.
Now seems to have lost in touch with everything.
But thank god, I am working in a creative world, where creativity really matters. Can not find time to spend with pen/ pencil/ water paint. But having my adobe flash and photoshop helps me little bit.

Still I am not a good designer , even though I am a flash programmer.
Your post motivates me, to draw some lines with the pencil resting on my desk.. Feel like just filling my office note pad with some drawings..
I suggest you to write more about paintings, so that your tips will definitely help so many who is searching for.

MumLee said...

Happy to hear that, Sanal has become a good drawer. I think there were so many good artists in ur batch.

Sreelal said...

Hi Nishana,
Thanks for your comments. Nice to know that this post has motivated you to draw. If you have drawn something do put it in your blog. :)

Anjali said...

Hey...nice blogging...inspiring one to paint ur imaginations in the canvas...paint ur thoughts in the blog....really gr8 work...

Sreejith said...

Sreelal was my junior .. a very humble guy who amazed me by showing 'respect' to me which we usually dont expect from our juniors these days ! ha haa..
I was bored in the painting competitions held at the college year after year even though I was winning all of them and some of university titles. The reason was lack of much talented artists in the college those days.
But Sreelal was really outstanding , especially with his oil works. I never tried oil much in my life, and I would say the reason was nothing but the cost of the oil based art materials !!.
My favorite mediums are still water colour & sticks (Charcoal, Pencil and pastels). My laziness has forced me to dump water colour later .. since it involves pallets..mixing , drying and all those hassles associated with that !
Now in the run of 'roz-ki-roti' the only artistic activity I am doing is , making quick sketches of people sitting in front of me and drawing abstract images in the meeting diary during Project meetings !!
I want to learn techniques of oil painting , since no artist's life is complete with out trying the oil medium , since it is the most popular among professionals as Sreelal said and obviously the medium with which most of the legendary paintings are crafted with!
I am seriously planning to restart my painting ..'gut feeling , eh!'
inshah alla, gimme power to fight my laziness .. (Honestly .. time is not the issue .. I have plenty of time.. but laziness !)
Hey, sreelal , u have done gud landscapes in Oil.. y dont u post them?
Cheers & keep the gud work on buddy!

Sreelal said...

Thank you very much for your comments. It is the artist in you that I respect. :)
Try out oil painting. If you are lazy then its the best medium. You can take your own time to complete the painting. I do take several weeks. :P

Dragonfly said...

Hi,
Have you uploaded your painting anywhere in net? like picasa or flickr? If not, please do, it will motivate many people.